My sewer is backing up, what do I do?
Contact the Lowndes County Utility Office at 229-671-2500 and report the problem.

You may also want to contact a plumber. Lowndes County Utility Department will check the county's main sewer lines to make sure there is proper flow in our lines and no blockage. If our lines are clear this indicates that the customer service lines may have a blockage and the customer would be responsible for contacting a plumber to unplug their service lines.

Show All Answers

1. Where are you located?
2. What are your hours?
3. What is needed to open an account?
4. Is a deposit required?
5. How do I get my Deposit back?
6. Will my water be turned on the same day?
7. What are your water / sewer rates?
8. What if we need to contact Utilities after regular business hours?
9. My sewer is backing up, what do I do?
10. I have no water...
11. I don't think you are reading my meter...
12. I don't ever see the meter reader looking at my meter and there is dirt and water over the meter dial, there is no way they can get readings from this meter...
13. My neighbor’s water bill is less than mi ne and we use the same amount of water...
14. How do I know if I have a faulty water meter?
15. Why does my water taste or smell funny?