Workers' Compensation

Lowndes County employees who are injured while performing their job duties, are protected by Workers Compensation Insurance. Workers’ compensation is an accident insurance program paid for by Lowndes County that provides employees with medical, rehabilitation and income benefits if they are injured on the job.

Frequently Asked Questions:

When does my coverage begin? Workers’ Compensation coverage begins on the first day of employment.

Which injuries are considered covered? Any injury you receive as a result of performing your assigned job duties during regular work hours, is covered under Workers’ Compensation Insurance.

What should I do if I get injured or have an incident on the job? You must report your injury/incident and any need for medical treatment to a supervisor immediately and no later than 24 hours from the time that the injury/incident occurred.

If you do not sustain an injury or do not feel you need to see a doctor you are still required to report the incident to a supervisor immediately and no later than 24 hours from the time that the injury/incident occurred.  Failure to report an injury/incident could jeopardize your Workers’ Compensation benefits.

Your immediate supervisor or department head will need to complete a “First Report of Injury” form and any other necessary paperwork that must be turned into the Human Resources Department as soon as possible following the injury/incident to start the claim process.

If I see my personal physician for an injury that I sustained on the job, will the treatment be covered? No. The law requires you to select from a list of doctors called the “Panel of Physicians”. This list is posted on Labor Law Posters located within each County facility and is typically found in a breakroom area. A “Panel of Physicians” form is also available on this webpage for your reference. If you choose to see a doctor who is not listed on the Panel of Physicians, it would be considered unauthorized treatment and Workers’ Compensation would not be responsible for the charges.

What should I do if I need emergency care? In an emergency or in any situation in which no panel physicians are available to you; such as after normal business hours or on the weekend; you may go to the nearest emergency room. Once the emergency has ended, any follow-up care will need to be sought from a physician from the list of doctors on the “Panel of Physicians”.

If I cannot return to work right away how long do I have to wait to receive income benefits? You are entitled to receive income benefits if you miss more than 7 days of work. The first 7 days are considered a “waiting period” during which time you can use your accrued leave time to ensure you receive a full check. Workers’ Compensation income benefits are paid for any days that you miss in excess of 7 days (begins day 8).

How much can I receive in benefits? You are entitled to two- thirds of your current average weekly salary. However, this is capped at no more than $575.00 per week if your accident occurred on or after July 1, 2016. If you have any leave time available prior to your injury you can use your leave time in order to give yourself a full paycheck along with the Workers’ Compensations benefits that you will receive.

The Association of County Commissioners of Georgia (ACCG), Workers Compensation Division administers each claim individually on behalf of Lowndes County.

Approved Workers' Compensation Doctors for Lowndes County

If you have additional questions, please call the Human Resources Department at 229-671-2410