- Probate Court
Lowndes County Probate Court will close for lunch from 12:00 noon until 1:00 p.m., beginning Wednesday, March 1, 2023, until further notice from the Court.
Lowndes County Probate Court Updated COVID-19 Policy
Judge of Probate Court
-Honorable Detria Carter Powell
WELCOME TO LOWNDES COUNTY PROBATE COURT
Lowndes County Probate Court is here to serve the citizens in an effective, efficient, impartial and professional manner, and to perform the duties assigned to the Court under the Constitution and the laws of Georgia. The Lowndes County Probate Court is a Court of record with exclusive jurisdiction over Estates, Guardianships and Conservatorships of Incapacitated Adults, Temporary Guardianships of Minors, Conservatorships of Minors, Commitments to Involuntary Evaluation and Treatment for Mental Health and/or Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Involuntary Commitments, Issuance of Georgia Weapons Carry License, and Issuance of Marriage Licenses. Probate Court also perform numerous and other varied duties.
This Court does not handle traffic, election, vital records or game and fish law violation cases. Lowndes County State Court handles traffic cases and game and fish law violations. Lowndes County Board of Elections handle elections, and vital records are handled through the Lowndes County Health Department.
- Decedent’s Estates - Probate of Wills, Administration of Estates, Etc.
- Guardianships and Conservatorships of Minors and Incapacitated Adults
- Involuntary Intervention - Mental Health and Substance Abuse
MARRIAGE APPLICATIONS AND WEAPONS CARRY LICENSE APPLICATIONS ARE PROCESSED
MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY
8:30 A.M. - 4:15 P.M.
**It is recommended that you complete initial application online prior to your arrival**
- Issuance of a Georgia Weapons Carry License - The Application for Georgia Weapons Carry License, Renewal, & Replacement may be completed and submitted online or printed to present to our office. We highly recommend you utilize the online application process. If you utilize the online application you will not need to print the document, and you will have three (3) days (including holidays and weekends) from online submission to complete the process in our office. For all Weapons Carry License Renewals, please ensure that your Weapons Carry License does not expire past the three (3) days, if so, you will be considered a first time Applicant.
- Issuance of Fireworks Permits
- Issuance of Marriage License - The Application for a Marriage License may be completed and submitted online or printed to present to our office. We highly recommend you utilize the online application process. If you utilize the online application you will not need to print the document, and you will have three (3) days (including holidays and weekends) from online submission to complete the process in our office. Both parties must be present to complete the process in our office.
- Marriage License Information Sheet (PDF)
- Marriage Application - Please print and complete prior to appearing in Probate Court if not applying online.
- Affidavit of Underage Marriage Applicant
- Premarital Education Certificate
- CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE ONLINE MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION AND/OR SEARCH AND REQUEST MARRIAGE RECORDS
- Marriage Record Requests by Mail
- Issuance of Veterans’ Business Licenses
- Occasional Limited Amendments on Birth Records
- Review of Accountings, Inventories for Guardianships and Estates
Proceeding as a Self-Represented Litigant in Probate Court
Georgia Probate Forms
Many Probate forms are available on the Georgia Probate Forms website.
For the safety and protection of all, the Lowndes County Courthouse is a secured facility. All persons entering the courthouse and all packages, purses, briefcases brought into the courthouse are subject to being searched.